Wednesday 25 November 2009

Zoe Lister article - Liverpool Echo



Aww love this article cute and funny! :)

Dawn Collinson talks to Hollyoaker Zoe Lister and finds out being on TV isn’t all about glamour

IT’S hard to know where it all went wrong for Hollyoaks’ Zoe Lister.Was it the affair with her best friend Sarah? Or maybe the affair with Sarah’s dad? Perhaps it was when she was accused of murdering Sarah by cutting her parachute chord and pushing her out of a plane?

Either way, actress Zoe Lister is languishing in jail – or at least a small disused office-cum-cupboard in Lime Pictures’ Childwall HQ, awaiting her fate.

The 27-year-old has been there since her character, Zoe Carpenter, was put in the frame for killing her best mate.

It’s been a grim few months, she jokes, facing solitary confinement day in, day out.

“They’ve made me a little jail cell on set and it’s basically just a tiny room, painted grey, which is so depressing. I have to sit in there all on my own and every so often a prison officer comes in and slams down a bowl of porridge or something. Honestly, it’s genuinely awful, so at least it’s not hard to get into character.

“I go into make-up every morning to be made suitably rough and they add on the bags and the lines and general greyness. They tell me off if I’ve ever had too much sleep because it means I don’t look bad enough!”

For Zoe, who joined the soap just over three years ago, it’s her first real dramatic storyline. There have been those love entanglements with her gal pal and her dad, as well as a few romantic near misses with fellow students, but standing trial for murder is a whole new ball game.

Viewers who watched the recent late-night episodes of Hollyoaks know that Zoe is innocent and that it was Sarah’s on-off partner Lydia who did the deed.

But that hasn’t stopped fingers pointing – and Zoe being under threat of life imprisonment.

“We got two scripts, one for the regular show and one for the late night, and it was then that I found out how Loui, who played Sarah, would be leaving,”
says Zoe.

“It sounded great and I couldn’t wait to do it. Zoe hasn’t had too much drama since I started, but this has been brilliant.”

Filming for the past couple of months has been a strange experience, she admits, and not just because of that prison cell.

Loui Batley and Zoe had become best friends during their time on Hollyoaks and so when she departed it left a big void.

“It made it interesting to deal with the aftermath of Sarah’s death because our characters had been so close,” explains Zoe. “We’d been in a little bubble for the last 18 months to two years so it was odd for me.”

Zoe herself has revealed plans to leave the soap, although there’s no saying she’ll leave Liverpool too. She’s happily made her home here and says she loves it, especially the music scene.

Reportedly dating singer Mark Hole (she appeared in the video for his song Dirty Base), she ran club nights with castmate Claire Cooper, who plays Jacqui McQueen.

“And we’ve been involved with the Hollyoaks Music Show which has been great,” she adds. “I love how relaxed people are in Liverpool when they see the cast around town.

“If I go back to my home town in the Midlands it’s always ‘oh my God’ when people recognise you. In Liverpool you can walk around Tesco and no-one even notices. Sometimes I do think that they’re secretly following you to see what’s in your basket, though, so I try to look like I’m a really good cook. I save all the dirty food until they’re not looking!”

Zoe’s Hollyoaks trial begins on Monday, November 30, C4 6.30pm

No comments: